Srivilliputhur Andal Temple
Sri Andal is a great vaishnavite saintees and her pasurams are as popular in Tamilnadu as “ Meera Bai’s Devotional songs are in the North. It is located 74 kms. away from Madurai and 45 kms. away from Virudhunagar.
Andal like a Seetha, is presumed to be not born out of mohther’s womb (Ayoni Sambhava) She left her mortal body and merged with Lord Renganatha, when she was 14 years old. Evert Vasishnavite temple in South has a sanctum dedicated to Sri Andal. This temple is also dedicated to Lord Vishni known as Vadapathrasayee. He was a principal deity of Srivilliputhru, before Andal was born.
The temple belongs to the 18 the Century A.D. testified by the inscriptions in it. Thirumalai Naick of Madurai and his sister have made intensive additions to the temple. The Characteristic feature of the temple i.e., 192 feet height tower which has 12 storey’s. The massive wooden car which is several centuries old, has 9 huge wheels.
Virudhunagar Parasakathi Mariamman Temple
The Mariamman Temple in the town was constructed in 1923. The Panguni Uthiram, celebrated in the month of Panguni for 21 days at this temple, is the main festival of the town and its surroundings.
Irukkankudi Marriamman Temple
It is situated 8 kms. East of Sattur, where there is a marriamman temple . Irukkankudi means the meeting place of two rivers i.e., Arjuna River and Vaipparu River join in front of the temple.
It is situated between the two rivers and to reach it one has to cross the river Arjuna on the foot.
The temple have been built 200 years ago by the forefathers of the present poojaris. It is stated that a poojari girl who was picking cow-dung placed her basket on the ground but could not remove it. She had a vision that a temple should be built there.
Sivakasi Marriamman Temple
It is situated 18 kms west of sattur and 18 kms east of Srivilliputhur. It is 70 kms South-West of Madurai. it has Railway station, bus services are available in all directions.
It is stated that Arikeswari Parakarama Pandiyan (1420 – 1462) constructed a temple at Tenkasi and went to Banaras for taking a Lingam for installation at Tenkasi. On his return he was unavoidably detained at Sivakasi, which away a forest area.
At the approach of the auspicious law, he is installed the Lingam and constructed, the temple at this place. This place take its name for this incident. During the period of Nayaks, Sivakasi was the seat of a Governor.
Srivilliputhur Thiruvannamalai Temple
It is situated 3 kms north old Srivilliputhur Buses are available form Srivilliputhur. Nearest Railway station is Srivilliputhur. The place is important for the Vishnu temple ona hillock at the northern end of the village. The village situated at the bottom of the hillock, was formerly known as Thirumalai meaning sacred hillock. This place is called South Tirupathi, legend has it that Tirupathi Venkatachalapathi came for a hunt and in order to give dharshan and to bless his devotees, he stayed in this temple on the hill here.
The hillock is about 200 feet height. The Western Ghats, which are about 9 kms way from this place from a beautiful background scenery. Koneri Tamarai Thirtham is at the foot of the hill. where pilgrims take their bath before going up the hill.
SATHURAGIRI hills or chathuragiri otherwise known as “ SUNDRA MAHALINGAM “ is situated 10 km from watrap (Wathirairuppu) near Srivilliputhur. The name Sathuragiri came from Chathur (4) Veda (Vedas) Giri (Hill), where all the four Vedas met and formed the hill. Another meaning is that the whole mountain is in square (Chathuram) in shape so the name Chathuragiri. Sathuragiri is the Abode of God. It is otherwise also called as Mahalingam Hills.
This is also called as “Siddargal Boomi” 18 Siddhas were used to live here, abode of god was bending position. Another god calls Santhana Mahalingam… up to 4km periya Mahalingam statue in forest and rivers, Navagraga stone in top of hill.
Thiruthangal Perumal Temple
Thiru Nindra Narayana Perumal Temple of Thiruthangal a town in the outskirts of Sivakasi in Virudhunagar district near Sivakasi. This temple is dedicated to lord Vishnu (Nindra Narayana Perumal- Arunakamala Mahadevi) constructed in Dravidiyan style of architecture. The temple is one of 108 Divyadesams.
The temple in its present form was believed to have been built by Devendra vallabha, a pandya king . The temple has three inscriptions in its two rock-cut caves, two dating from the period of 8th century.
The temple is built on a granite hill 100ft (30m) tall and a granite wall surrounds the temple, enclosing all its shrines and bodies of water. Unlike other temple, this temple does not have a rajapalayam. Temple’s gateway tower. The later Pandya kings, Vijayanagar and Nayak kings in the region made significant additions to the temple. The temple is located on the other side of Karunellinathar temple, a famous shiva temple and can be reached from that temple on the hillock.
Guhanparai is located on the road to Kalugumaial from Vembakottai. It is 22 km from sattur town in Virudhungar district. and 80 kms from Madurai. about 8 kms from Elayarampannai Village. A small hillock to the west of the village is called Guanparai and the village takes on the same nomenclature.
There is a small natural caven at the foot of the hillock, which is believed to have been used as a shelter by jain monks. There was a damaged stone image of a jain Thirthankara. A 10th century AD Vatteluthu inscription on a rock of hillock states that monastery Munnurru – varperumapalli was established in the name of Munnurruvar Kovilpillaigal.