From the 19th century AD, District Collectors and Judges appointed by the British controlled this area. In 1910, the District of Ramanathapuram was created for administrative convenience, by carving-out territories from Madurai and Tirunelveli districts. After India attained independence, in 1948, the zamins were abolished. In 1985, the Ramanathapuram district was trifurcated vide State Government Notification, G.O. Ms. 347 dated 08.03.1985 to create the districts of Ramanathapuram , Sivaganga and Virudhunagar district. This district is divided into 3 Revenue Divisions namely Aruppukottai, Sivakasi and Sattur and 10 taluks, namely Aruppukottai, Kariyapatti, Rajapalayam, Sattur, Sivakasi, Srivilliputtur, Tiruchuli, Virudhunagar, Vembakottai and Wathirairuppu.